- Consumers read data from a topic (identified by name)
- Consumers know which broker to read from
- In case of broker failures, consumes know how to recover
- Data is read in order within each partitions.
- Consumers read data in consumer groups
- Each consumer within a group reads from exclusive partitions
- If you have more consumers than partitions, some consumers will be inactive
Note: Consumers will automatically use a GroupCoordinator and a ConsumerCoordinator to assign a consumer to a partition.