OpsWorks (Stack, Chef recipes)
Configuration Management Service that helps build and operate highly dynamic apps and propagate changes instantly
- OpsWorks Stacks (Reqd for Exam)
- OpsWorks for Chef Automate
- OpsWorks for Puppet Enterprise
At the base level is Stack - Infrastructure platform like dev/prod/qa
At the second level is Layer - Tier (Application Tier, DB Tier etc)
- OpsWorks revolve around the concept of Chef Cookbooks, recipe
- Option to choose custom Chef cookbooks located in a repo (github)
- Auto Healing capabilities of OpsWorks stacks.
- Supports ECS in OpsWorks Layer
- Instances : 24/7, Time-based, Load-based
Two primary parts:
- Provisioning Engine
- OpsWorks Agent
- Launches EC2
- EBS volumes
- Configures ELBs
Software that runs on instances for on-host configuration.
Opsworks Lifecycle Events
- Setup : once after boot
- Configure : whenever any stack instance changes state, update to stack
- Deploy : upon app deployment
- Undeploy : upon app deletion
- Shutdown : when the instance is stopped
- First a stack is created.
- Then one or more layers are defined.
- Then the application code to be run and launched into a layer is configured.
- Then a Chef cookbook is created and recipes written which are associated with specific OpsWorks events lifecycles.
- Then the instances are launched into the defined layers.
- Finally the applications are deployed onto the servers defined at each application hosting layer.